Subject: Re: Plants turning brown
Author:  "Merrill Cohen" <amc2 at ix_netcom.com>  at INTERNET
Date:    1/13/98 4:49 PM

Boris:

I'm going to "take a shot" that you have some Plecostomus and/or Xenocara
in your aquarium.  They "suck" on the older leaves and cause this.  If this
is so, I would suggest that you put in some driftwood and keep a piece of
cucumber in your aquarium at all times.  If you have fish that need
cellulose in their diet, this is the answer. Also, it will be good to
remove those outer leaves on the Amazons as this seems to make them grow
fuller and taller.

>      Here's the problem though, the older leaves on ALL the plants have
>      what appears to be a brown coating or maybe they lost their entire
>      green coloring for the brown.  They leaves never went through a
yellow
>      stage just green to brown.  It appears as though they are
>      deteriorating.  The new leaves on the other hand, are vibrant green.
>      Oh, the tank has 2 20W tubes, triton and trichromatic, additionally
>      their is no glass to and bulbs are 2" above the surface of the
water.

>      Please help, I'm stumped!!

Good luck,

Merrill