Re: what is an aquatic plant?!

     >   > > Also, does anyone have any information as to
     >   > > culture for marine plant life (i.e. caulerpa, halimeda,
     >   > > pencillus dumetosus 'shaving brush'?
     >
     >  Almost all forms of Caulerpa grew very well for me when my tanks
     >  were well kept.  I have never seen Halimeda nor shaving brushes
     >  do anything but die in captivity.  But I stopped keeping up with
     >  reef tank CW back about four years now.

     >  I would *love* to hear from anyone who keeps variety of
     >  flurishing marine plants.  After all, plant tanks are a aweful
     >  lot like reef tanks with algae filters.  In other words, I

     >  flirt with the idea of a marine *plant* tank with just a tiny
     >  few corals.  (But a marine plant tank filled with Caulerpa
     >  would be boring and tropical plant tanks are *so* much cheaper
     >  to maintain, easier to maintain and healther!)

     I just wanted to add my $0.02.  Caulerpas are very easy to grow--mine
     flourished under 4 40-watt flourescents over a 90 gallon tank. I have
     never attempted to grow Halimeda or shaving brushes, but it can be
     done.  What do you mean by "healthier?"

     My all-time favorite saltwater aquarium was simply a stack of
     honeycomb limestone heavily planted with several species of Caulerpa.
     And no, it wasn't boring--the genus Caulerpa has many species with
     different sizes and shapes; one even looks like a bunch of grapes.  I
     kept blennies, cowfish, and a sharpnose puffer.

     Kind regards,

     Mark