Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #16

At 3:48 PM -0500 1/9/98, Steve Turner wrote:

>Three Questions:
>1) Has anyone experienced this before?
>2) Any ideas on what caused the liquid to be sucked out?

It's been reported here often. Powerheads produce suction because of the
venturi effect. Don't use the venturi connection on the powerhead. Position
the tube in the outflow or inflow so a vacumn is not being generated. You
can verify this by moving the tube position around as you observe whether
the tube is drawing liquid out of an open container.

>3) Will the liquid in the tank cause any problems for the fish and plants.
>   (Other than slightly tipsy fish with hangovers)..

I once knocked over a yeast bottle and some of the brew was propelled into
my tank. I did a partial water change. The water clouded, no doubt from the
bacteria that were feasting on the sugar and alcohol, but it cleared
quickly. The fish seemed fine.

I don't remember ever seeing a report here of fish deaths from this.
(Unlike C02 bottle injection systems that go awry.)

Paul