Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #16

>  Date: Fri, 09 Jan 1998 11:36:17 -0600
>  From: steve rader <rader at teak_wiscnet.net>
>  Subject: what is an aquatic plant?!
>
>   > > Also, does anyone have any information as to
>   > > culture for marine plant life (i.e. caulerpa, halimeda,
>   > > pencillus dumetosus 'shaving brush'?
>
>  Almost all forms of Caulerpa grew very well for me when my tanks
>  were well kept.  I have never seen Halimeda nor shaving brushes
>  do anything but die in captivity.  But I stopped keeping up with
>  reef tank CW back about four years now.

Halimeda, shaving brushes and the like flourish if given high intensity
light and adequate amounts of calcium.  Refer to The Reef Aquarium I
by Delbeek and Sprung for the proper dosages.  MH lighting is darn near
mandatory.

>  I would *love* to hear from anyone who keeps variety of
>  flurishing marine plants.  After all, plant tanks are a aweful
>  lot like reef tanks with algae filters.  In other words, I

They are very easy.

>  flirt with the idea of a marine *plant* tank with just a tiny
>  few corals.  (But a marine plant tank filled with Caulerpa
>  would be boring and tropical plant tanks are *so* much cheaper
>  to maintain, easier to maintain and healther!)

Caulerpa comes in hundreds of shapes and sizes and other algaes can
be maintained that are red.  It would look differently, but it is quite
nice if done right.

However, George does have a point, this is a plant list and very rarely
do we talk about consciously applying ourselves to growing algae which is
what all of the above is.

				Cheers,
				Matthew