Re: Re:clouded glass

Paul Krombholz said...

>Vinegar would work well with calcium carbonate deposits, but these are SiO2
>deposits.  I once tried concentrated HCl, which is close to 100%, whereas
>muriatic acid is only 20%, but it didn't touch these deposits.  It, by the
>way, came in a glass bottle.

Well, that provides an answer to something I've wondered about for
years. I have similar deposits or marring on some glass tops which
remain indifferent to both vinegar and muratic acid. Would the type
of glass make a difference? Under what circumstances or conditions
would SiO2 be deposted?

--
Dave Whittaker
ac554 at FreeNet_Carleton.ca