Re: CEC

From: "Simone e Pierluigi Vicini" <psvicini at mdnet_it>
To: "Aquatic plant" <Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com>
Subject: More hygrophyla polysperma
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 04:47:07 +0100
Sender: owner-aquatic-plants at actwin_com

>Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 09:43:10 -0700 (MST)
>From: George Booth <booth at hpmtlgb1_lvld.hp.com>
>Subject: Re: Hygrophila polysperma

>>Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 09:20:40 +0100
>>From: "Simone e Pierluigi Vicini" <psvicini at mdnet_it>
>>
>>Does anyone of you have Hygrophyla polisperma growing brown?
>>I cannot grow it green maybe for the laterite in the gravel. It grows
>>quickly and with big leaves now but it's brown. The other think is that
all
>>my plants seem to grow well but they are not very green. I mean that deep
>>and bright green. I'm adding K but maybe I should switch to HQI lamp or
>>maybe a fluorescent bulb with an high color temperature.>

>It may be due to light with too much intensity!  Many plants develop a
reddish
>pigment on the leaves near the surface to protect them from the bright
light.
>sort of like people getting a sun tan. Are the lower leaves green or is
the
>whole plant brownish?  If you suspect this, try increasing the distance
from the
>light to the water as an experiment.

>George

>Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 10:32:49 -0500
>From: krombhol at teclink_net (Paul Krombholz)
>Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #1169

>The brown color is due to strong light and good growing conditions. You
>have very happy plants.   To get the bright green color, H. polysperma has
>to be in a lot less light.  Aquarium plants that stay green in strong
light
>are almost a minority.  Hygrophila difformis always stays green, as far as
>I know.

>Paul Krombholz, in cool, breezy Jackson, Mississippi.

>------------------------------

Well all the plant is brown and the reason is that I cut it and replant
every two weeks so the plant becomes all of the same color.
The light intensity is probably too high at the water surface but is low at
the bottom of the tank I think. Infact the limnophila grows very fast and
poorly near the bottom and tries (spelling for try?) to get at the surface
where it becomes brown as well and grows big leaves. I have a DIY reflector
for my fluorescent bulbs and the distance is 30 cm from the bottom.

My echinodorus grandifloris (?) is growing out of the tank.

My rotala rotundifolia is showing some kind of nutrient deficiency in the
old leaves becoming fragile and pale reddish-yellow color.

I'm adding K, NO3, Ca, Mg and micronutrients

KH°4 GH°4 PH -7 CO2 injection.

3watt/gallon efficiency going down

Thank you everybody
Happy 1998