Re: Black spots on Microsorum

Just so no one is confused... if the black spots are circular, regular
and appear in rows, then they are likely the fruiting structures which
any fern produces... if the black spots are irregular and have the
tendency to expand over time, then they are caused by leaf decay, most
likely due to some type of nutrient deficiency.

George;

These are the holidays! Chill
Whenever I quote a study or scientific results the information was
collected in a sound manner... by that I mean adequate controls,
satistical analyses and above all, healthy plants. For instance, I spent
a year, seven days a week, 8 to 12 hours a day learning how to grow Lemna
trisulca BEFORE  I started my growth experiments... this is not unusual.
The best experimenters typically use 'weed' species (thats where the
funding is) and will have their plants doubling every two to four days
during experiments. In experiments where HEALTHY plants have been grown
side by side with and without a fertile substrate, the plants in sand
have always grown statistically less than the plants in soil... even in
the presence of an enriched water column. If you want references, read
John Barkos stuff... hes American and probably THE reference on the
mineral nutrition of aquatic plants.

Happy holidays
dave.