Re: controlling DIY CO2

On December 13, 1997 Noel Llopis wrote:

> Even though I haven't created any sort of CO2 reactor yet, I believe that
> I'm getting too much CO2 in the water.

As already mentioned, trying to control the CO2 flow in this type of setup can
lead to messy circumstances if the yeast bottle should blow its top. A better
method is to control the diffusion into the water.

An easily adjustable technique is to let the CO2 bubble into an inverted
container of some kind.  Small water bottles, Tupperware bowls, etc can be used.
The idea is to capture the CO2 and hold it until it can diffuse into the water.
By changing the size of the container and thus, the surface area, you can fine
tune how fast CO2 gets into the water.  I believe that locating the container a
different heights in the tank will also change the diffusion rate (more or less
pressure). If the reactor is running too fast, excess CO2 simply bubbles out
from below the container to the surface in large bubbles that don't add much CO2
to the water.

I have a photo of a reactor like this designed by Olga Betts in the CO2 page of
my web site.

George
--
George Booth in Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
Need Info?  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts.htm