RE: Amazon swords

> Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 08:29:43 +0000
> From: "Brad Grenard" <brgrenard at SMLY-01_HFS.PURDUE.EDU>
> Subject: Amazon Swords
>
> I have some amazon sword plants in a 55 gal. tank that have been
> growing well for some time.  I'll soon be tearing down and moving the
> tank and, obviously, re-planting all of my plants.  Over time, as the
> swords have grown and old, lower leaves have been trimmed off, the
> rhizomes of the plants have gotten larger until the crowns of the
> plants are now well above gravel level.  Before I re-plant, should I
> trim the rhizomes?  If so, how?  Any advice would be appreciated.

I just broke down my 45 high tank, and had a similar problem.  I
found that once the AS was uprooted, the rhizome was fairly ready to
be broken into pieces (divided).  I broke down one large plant to
four smaller plants, approximately the same size the original plant
was when I got it.  I haven't yet replanted the tank, but I'm pretty
sure this is a natural, commonly used method for propagating these
plants.

 Tom

 Work Phone: (601)-325-7191             Physical Mail: Box 9546
 Fax:        (601)-325-7189                            Mississippi State, MS
                                                       39762-9546
 Home Page : http://www.de.msstate.edu/CE/Faculty/price.html