nutrient deficiency?

I have a 55g temporary holding tank with sand, soil and peat as the
substrate.  The tank get around two hours of direct sunlight and lots of
natural daylight for the rest of the day.  It has yeast CO2, PMDD but no
nitrates added, very light fish load.  Filtration is a single powerhead on
a hygro sponge filter.  The tank is a month old and with little or no
algae.  I don't have my test kits yet but as for now I dose at 4 drops per
10 gallon since it is very densely planted.  Water changes at 20% per week.
 My water is hard and alkaline with a ph of 8.5.  Tank ph is around 7.5.

The plants are growing fast but I noticed that black lines or scratches on
the older leaves of Stargrass develop.  This will soon spread and the
entire leaf turns black.  The same thing happens on the old leaves of the
H. Polysperma but instead of turning entirely black it begins to die
resulting in a lot of premature leaf fall off.  My Echinodurus Paniculatus
sometimes have brown veins on an otherwise healthy looking leaves.  The red
plants are only half red.

With no test kits yet, I hope somebody can help me identify these symptoms.
 I look it up in the chart of nutrient deficiency symptoms but I'm not too
sure of my own conclusions.  Thanks in advance.

Jonathan Uy
Cebu City
5js at usc_edu.ph