re: ghost shrimp ID

FORWARDED MESSAGE:

>Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 08:02:32 -0800 (PST)
>From: Roxanne Bittman <rbittman at spock_dfg.ca.gov>
>To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
>Subject: ghost shrimp id
>
>Someone mentioned that the ghost shrimp commonly for sale in aquarium
>shops is  the same shrimp that T. Amano uses in his tanks.  I can't
dispute this >for sure, and Mr. Amano may use more than one kind of shrimp
anyway. BUT, I >am certain  that the shrimp pictured in most of his books
is entirely different from >the one sold locally in Sacramento as ghost
shrimp.  The Amano shrimp are >larger (I "measure" them in the photos
relative to the fish) and have more >markings than the approx. 1", almost
clear species for sale here.  By the way, >these shrimp only live about one
month for me too and the pet store confirmed >that all of  their customers
say that as well.  Perhaps the comment that they are >probably brackish
species is correct?