Re: Nutrient limitation

>Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 11:48:06 -0500
>From: krandall at world_std.com
>
>If we _are_ talking about cyanobacteria, then yes, many of them can fix
>nitrogen.  I don't think you'll get any argument.  But they do not then
>make that nitrogen available to higher plants in any meaningful way.
>(except Azolla, which I mentioned before)

I've found that cyanobacteria do contribute organic nitrogen to the system.

The process involves the cyanobacteria rapidly consuming nutrients until
they become nutrient limited in some way other than nitrogen.  At this
point, they begin to die off and decay, contributing their nutrients back
to the system.

--
David W. Webb           Texas Instruments
(972) 575-3443 (voice)  http://www.dallas.net/~dwebb