RE: Nutrient limitation

>  Karen wrote:
> << But isn't it possible to limit N in the _water column_, while still not
>  allowing N to be limited in the substrate? >>

Bob Dixon replied:
> Nitrogen is the single most common element in the atmosphere.  It will be
> almost four times more common in the water column than oxygen, because
> of the forces that cause exchange of gases at the surface.

True, but this is merely N2, and entirely inaccessible to our aquatic
plants.  Even though it is so common in the atmosphere, nitrogen
 is almost always the #1 limiting factor in terrestrial plant growth
because N2 is also inaccessible by almost all terrestrial plants.

--charley
charleyb at cytomation_com