[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]


Kevin asked:  >>>I keep reading about adding nitrates to a tank and
people suggesting KNO3.
But, what is KNO3 and where can I get it?>>>

KNO3 is potassium nitrate.  You may be able to find it at your local
garden shop.  A grade of KNO3 suitable for aquarium use is sold as
"Cooke's Stump Remover"  According to Neil Frank 1/4 tsp of the stuff
added to 50 gal. of water will contribute 2.9 mg./l K+ and 4.5 mg./l
NO3, respectively.  Higher grades of KNO3 are available from chemical
suppliers.  One such supplier is Hach at:


Regards, Steve Dixon