"Forbidden" plants

(1) One never knows what "the Government" will do.  Here in Iowa we say "No
man's life, property, or liberty are safe whilst the Legislature is In
Session."

(2) In Iowa, it is a serious misdemeanor to TRANSPORT Myriophyllum aquaticum
(Parrots Feather) ON THE PUBLIC HIGHWAYS. No exceptions. So, I guess I was
violating the Law when I took some sprigs from my aquarium down to Des Moines
to put in the Public Aquarium's outdoor pool. I don't have any now. I guess
this means I can't order any more of it from Lily Pons, as it would have to
be transported to my house on the Public Highways. Hey, UPS, Post Office,
everybody, has to use the Public Highways!!

They have a reason - the stuff clogs up lakes and ponds like crazy, and it is
most often spread by little hunks that stick to outboard motors, and it
generally survives the trip on the highway on the boat trailer to the NEXT
pond or lake. So, by making it a crime to move it on the highway, they
thought they could halt the spread of the plant.  People would have to clean
the remnants off their boats and motors. I think you will agree, though, that
it is a very __Strange Law__!

If the Feds, or anyone else, makes transporting any plant (or anything else
for that matter) over a Public Highway a crime, that pretty effectively shuts
down commerce in that item!!

Hmmmmm. On a practical basis, I wonder why they haven't just made
TRANSPORTING the various illegal drugs a crime? It would be a lot easier to
prove and prosecute. "Ye'r Honor, this person was walking on the sidewalk
with XXX.  That is prima facia evidence of guilt. They were transporting it."

Sorry for getting goofy, I originally had serious intent. Weekends are like
that.

Jean Olson
JOlson8590 at AOL_com
Out in the Boonies, near