Re: Is it BGA?

> Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 13:39:03 +0800
> From: khewss at singnet_com.sg (Khew Sin Sun)
> Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #1087
>
> >Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 08:41:41 -0500 (EST)
> >From: Jeff Dietsch <dietsch at voicenet_com>
> >Subject: Is it BG Algae???
> >
> >Hello all,
> >   I am wondering if this slim algae is BG or what.  I have 2 Aquaclear 300s
> >on my 90, and they are in full view of my NO flor lighting.  After a month
> >of operations I noticed this Slim algae on the output of the filters, in
> >fact it is also somewhat on the top of the sponge inside the filter.  There
> >really is none in the tank itself so I am not overly concerned about it,
> >*God I shouldn't have said that:)".  Every once and a while I remove it when
> >I turn off the filter flow.  It is very slimy and a dark green, and it is
> >quite slippery when you pull it off the filter in almost a whole sheet:)
> >The few pieces that have managed to fall into the tank may have a blue tint,
> >but the layer is so thick it is hard to tell.
>
> Sounds like BG alright! ;-)
> Better get the anti-biotics out!
>
> Khew

Hey Khew,

Did you read the long discussion a while ago about use of antibiotics for
battling cyanobacteria?

Jeff... I would suggest that you would rather battle the cyanobacteria
(BGA) with controlling your nutrients.  I have successfully wiped out a
large plague of BGA with this method.  You have nothing to loose this way,
but risk the possiblity of making the BGA resistant if you use
antibiotics.  What are you using for fertilizer in your tank?  My guess is
a pre-packaged commercial mix.  Try out PMDD... works wonders for those
Blue-green Blues.  No Joke.

Cheers,

Mark
------