[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #1079

Andy Moore asked:

> Would someone be kind enough to comment on my water make-up for my planted
> tanks ?
> Fully de-ionised water with Magnesium Sulphate, Calcium Carbonate & Sodium
> bi-carbonate added to give a GH reading of around 5-6 & a KH reading of
> around 3-4.
> I then add PMDD (Including Sodium Nitrate - can`t get hold of Potassium
> Nitrate) daily to ensure no nutrient/trace element inbalance.

I don't know what else might be in your PMDD mix, but it sounds like you
might be missing potassium.  If you can't get potassium nitrate, then you
might try potassium chloride (KCl).  KCl is sometimes used as a salt
substitute for low sodium diets.  I've found that one major US brand
(Morton's) sells a salt substitute that is 97% KCl.  The remaining 3%
consists of food additives that unfortunatly includes a couple phosphates. 
I don't know how much phosphorus would be involved, but it isn't much. 
You might also be able to get it from horticultural suppliers. 

I try to use water change water with about 10 mg/l K.  Evaporation makeup 
water is pure RO.

Roger Miller