Indian Algae Eater?

Hello All,

While fish shopping yesterday, I stumbled upon a fish I hadn't seen
before. There was a tank with about 100 of them. I wondered "why on
earth would someone order so many dull-looking fish?" They were about 1"
in length, silver in color with no black markings. Their shape and habit
reminded me of the Walking Tetra (Characidium fasciatum). They "blipped"
along the bottom. The owner of the store called them "Indian Algae
Eaters," and claimed that they eat brush algae! ZOWNS!!! Anyone ever
hear of this fish and do they *really* eat this form of algae?

Cheers,

Walter B. Klockers
In the Western portion of Washington State where it's overcast and 58F.
Pretty normal stuff!