Odd smelling tank

About one week ago I came home to a total disaster. My 20g plant
tank had a massive algae bloow while I was away for 4 days. I have
no idea what happened. I ripped the tank apart, all the way
down to the gravel bed. I did not want to disturbe it since I had
$20 worth of laterite under it that was no more then 2 months old.
Today I wanted to clean the Aqua clear mini filter, and do a good water
change. As the water was being siphoned into a bucket, I noticed a
nasty smell, sorta like death and a dogs fart!! When I cleaned the
filter it was loaded with reddish brown slime. I've never had this
before. Any ideas??
 Mike