Re: distorted shoots

My first guess, here at work without references, is Magnesium. I found that
the java ferns and the swords are heavy Mg feeders. I believe you use
Milton tap water, right? Check with your water authorities for the Mg
content. Calcium is similar.
Good luck and let us know what was the cause.

Michael Eckardt
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter
least." J.W.von Goethe