Re: Phosphates and Carbon

Chris,

Activated carbon does not remove phosphate from water.

I believe that the whole idea behind the activated carbon replacement
products, is that all activated carbon leaches some phosphate into
the water.  Since this is a concern, especially with reef tanks, some
advertisements for activated carbon list the phosphate content.  I
guess the higher quality activated carbon only leaches a very small
amount.

>Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 11:20:17 -0600 (CST)
>From: Chris Kirkpatrick <chrisk at casbah_acns.nwu.edu>
>Subject: Phosphates and Carbon

> Does regular activated carbon remove
>phosphates?  I'm considering using other media, but it looks very
>expensive to use regularly.

Darrell Roze

First Nations Coordinator, Faculty of Commerce
University of British Columbia
2053 Main Mall, Vancouver, B.C.     V6T 1Z2

Phone: (604)822-8289      Fax(604)822-8468