Re: A question of balance

> Does this mean I'm
> wasting my money by changing the bulbs now? They are 9 months old and have
> been running about 14 hours a day.

No, it isn't a waste of money.  Its something that needs to be done and
your doing it in a fairly timely fashion - *before* the difference gets
real big.  If you're not like me and you actually keep up on things you
can use the even better method of replacing lights on a continuous
schedule.  I.e., if you have 3 tubes and want to use the tubes for one
year, then replace one tube every 4 months.  That way you never have a
really big change.

What you probably want to avoid is what I'm about to do.  I have a tank
that I equipped with 2 Philips C50 tubes about two years ago.  The tank
contains mostly low-light plants, so I didn't think too much of it when
the light intensity dropped off - and it dropped a lot.  Now its so low
that even the low-light plants are showing the effects, and any change I
make is going to be a real big jump in intensity.  I hope my algae squad
is up to the job.

Roger Miller

In Albuquerque, where the late October weather is nearly perfect - 60
degrees and calm with unlimited visibility and -- oops, there's a
little cloud!