N cycling in planted tanks

Hi folks

It was mentioned recently that planted tanks do not nitrogen
cycle. When it comes to microorganisms I would say that the
former statement would have to be false.
It is probably more correct to say that the nitrophilic bugs and
the plants would be in an equilibrium with respect to nitrogenous
compounds.
Even in a heavily planted aquarium one could find small pockets
of nitrifing bacteria. Since the establishment of these colonies
is usually what we mean by the term "cycled", planted tanks must therfore
still cycle.
Ok so I'm picky but it's Wednesday :)

Marshall Wilkinson
Calgary Alberta