RE: Removal of Salvinia from ponds

>From: "Farida Bt. Yusuf (MWF, office)" <farida at mwf_nasionet.net>
>I am working on the rehabilitation of ponds and lakes at an ex
>tin-mining area. The problem I am facing is most of the ponds are all
>covered with Salvinia. [snip]
>Could you please provide me with whatever information you have on the
>morphology, physiology etc. of Salvinia and ways that can help me remove
>them from the ponds/lakes in an eco-friendly way? Is there any
>commercial values to Salvinia so that I can harvest them without having
>to destroy them?
>
>Please let me know soon as the Salvinia is causing a great hinderance in
>our restoration efforts.

Commercial value--yes.  Salvinia is great for hobbyist or commercial
operations in breeding fish (long roots with excellent cover for fry).  I've
also found it as a very fast grower which can successfully (rapidly)
remove nitrates from the water.

For control:  You could do mechanical control (just collect it and
remove it from the surface), but it grows fast so you'll have to do
this quite a bit unless other plants start to compete with it directly.

Another possible mechanical control is to provide lots of water
movement.  Salvinia is VERY sensitive to surface agitation and
tends to die off whenever enough water movement can partially splash
or submerge the leaves.  I don't know if you can provide that level
of movement, though, (pumps and electricity are expensive, so how
about a windmill/churn?).

--charley