Re: Huge Amazon Sword

     I've discoverd the best way to uproot a huge plant (swords, apons,
     etc.) is with a quick, zen-like jerk.  Grab the base of the plant
     firmly, and yank it up, FAST, 2-3 inches only.  The long roots will
     give a satisfying POP as they break, and will remain behind as you
     ease the plant out the rest of the way.  There will be plenty of short
     roots on the plant, and yes, some soil will come up.

     It's important to use a controlled jerk; the goal is to break the long
     roots, not decorate your ceiling.  It is speed and control, not brute
     force, that does the job.

     This is far less destructive than a slow, steady tug.  BTW, I have 4
     inches of loamy topsoil/vermiculite under 1 inch of #2 gravel, and the
     water clears in about an hour.

     Kind regards,

     Mark