Re: Boiling out C02

Marilyn

I'll take a crack at your boiling out C02 observation.
If I go way back to my undergrad chemistry, increasing
temperature will decrease the partial pressure of a gas. So
boiling water should decrease the partial pressure of dissolved
C02 and it will bubble off (along with other dissolved gases).
As to organic acids, to my knowledge (my disclaimer) these
wouldnt be considered as gaseous and wouldnt therefore obey the
above law. But, a complex acid may have chemical bonds broken by
the heat. I'll bet that P04s would not be effected by boiling.
Anyway your observation of an increase in pH would be related to
the loss of c02since pH is proportional to HC03/pC02.

Marshall Wilkinson
Calgary Alberta