Tap water mystery

While checking the water parameters on my discus grow out tank i decided
to test for co2 on a hunch that it might be higher than normal (water
changes would lower the pH which would then slowly go back up during the
day).  What I did not expect was the greater than (I did not want to
waist any more reagent than necessary) 50 ppm co2.  Thinking this was
odd I checked the tap water and sure enough it was >50 ppm co2.  So I
filled a glass with tap water, let it sit all day and checked it again
this evening along with the pH and Kh. The co2 is still >50 ppm, the pH
is 5.96 and the Kh is 3.36.  Now I'm no scientist, but shouldn't the co2
have equalized with the atmosphere after the water sat all day?  And if
it did, what could be causing the LaMott test kit to give a false
reading that coincides with the pH, Kh, co2 chart?  And how come the
tank pH would slowly rise again by the next morning(6.2 to 6.7)after the
previous morning water change (50% of a 55 gal) if very little co2 was
diffusing out. If my spring fed well water really does have so much
stubborn co2 dissolved in it I think I'm going to bottle it and sell it
as the latest natural, slightly carbonated, water fad.  For those who
think it chic to drink naturally carbonated spring water but don't like
the bubbles tickling their nose.  We could call it Sparkle Lite! <G>

Next I going to let the water sit overnight and most of the next day and
see what, if anything, is different tommorow evening.

Ed Hengel