Transformers

I have personally NEVER seen a transformer, available for purchase from a
reputable Electronics supply house, that did not have the Secondary and
Primary windings separate. (There is ONE exception - the AutoTransformer, the
Variac is an example, but they are a special case.)  If you wonder, simply
connect an Ohmmeter between the Secondary and Primary windings. You should
see "infinite resistance." If you don't I would suggest you NOT use that
transformer, unless as an anchor for your boat. You see, if the Secondary and
Primary windings have an electrical connection, you will have full line
voltage to ground from the Secondary winding. That could certainly give you
an unpleasant surprise. Possibly a fatal one, at that. :-/

I do, however concede that a high-current low-voltage transformer may not be
insulated for a 42 volt EMF, and did mention that. This kind of transformer
chain is like any other chain - no better than the weakest link.

(Another way to check for a Primary/Secondary connection would be to plug in
the Primary, then test the Secondary terminals with a neon bulb tester. It
should NOT glow from contact with the secondary!)

Cheers!

Jean Olson
JOlson8590 at AOL_com
Out in the Boonies, near