Transformers for Dupla heating cables

> Date: Sat, 11 Oct 97 21:56:36 -0700
> From: gomberg at wcf_com
>
> On 10/11/97 at 03:48 p, Jean (Aquatic Plants Digest) said:
>
> >To try this, attach the PRIMARIES of the two transformers in
> >PARALLEL, attach the secondaries of TWO transformers in series,
> >then check the resultant voltage.
>

> This is very hazardous.  Most inexpensive transformers do not have
> secondaries that are isolated from the primaries (transformers that
> do are called isolation transformers).  Connect the secondaries
> together at all may be dangerous.

Could you elaborate?  I have been told by several local transformer
suppliers that connecting two lower powered transformers in series "Will
not work" but I do not understand the problem.  As I understand
transformers, current in the secondary comes from the magnetic field of the
primary and there is no electrical path between the two.  What is the
difference between a regular transformer and an isolation transformer?

What consequence does one risk when connecting transformer secondaries in
series?

Frank.
-----
The very act of seeking sets something in motion to meet us;
something in the universe, or in the unconscious responds as if
to an invitation.  - Jean Shinoda Bolen

http://home.istar.ca/~fir