RE: bleach treatments

Bleach for algal control seems to be the flavour of the month. I have
seen mention in the past about the fact that household bleach often
contains synthetic detergents as well as the sodium hypochlorite. A
label check reveals that all the chain-store brands around here contain
detergent. Whether the detergent is an advantage or disadvantage in
killing algae wasn't discussed in previous postings, as far as I
remember.  My limited experiments with household bleach suggested that
the detergents are quite damaging to the plants - the leaves survived
much better when I swapped to swimming pool "dry chlorine" (ie, calcium
hypochlorite granules, no detergent). Thought this might be a good area
for home experimentation, unless it's been looked at already in
sufficient detail.  I'd be interested to hear from those using bleach,
whether your bleach is the Na or Ca salt, what concentration, and does
it also contain detergent?

Ross Drewe