Flat Cryptocorynes

> Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 11:29:27 PDT
> From: Roxanne Bittman <rbittman at kirk_dfg.ca.gov>
> Subject: flat Cryptocorynes
>
> I have some Cryptocoryne lucens growing in a 20g tank under 4 20watt
> Corallife Trichromatic fluor. bulbs.  They are growing well, but very flat.
>  I would like to change their growth to be more upright.

(Some Snipping)

Roxanne, I don't know about the far red stuff, but I do know that 80w
over a 20g is some pretty serious lighting. I have experimented with 4
36" bulbs over a 20 long. The plants look quite a bit different under
lighting this intense. My normally upright and green, C. Wendti turned a
bronze color, and grew very flatly across the bottom. When more upright
plants were placed in the tank, they would do a classic melt-down then
return with the flat, brown leaves again. So, perhaps it is not the
spectrum so much as the intensity of the lighting that causes the flat
growth. BTW, H. Zosterafolia does the same thing. It really makes a nice
"carpet" effect under these conditions.

Pat Bowerman

PS: Could we please be more careful about quoting the entire digests,
and also watch those nasty mime attachments. It really gets tiresome
after a while.