Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #990

> Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 01:17:58 -0700
> From: Jeremy <adamsjer at ucs_orst.edu>
> Subject: Light Shopping
>
>            The daylights had a higher kelvin value then the sunlights. I
> think around 6500. Both were 40 watts.Which bulb would work best? Would
> two pairs of either lights be enough for a 140 gallon tank? I'm not sure
> I can fit nore under the hood.

> Thanks for any help,
> Jeremy in Corvallis Oregon

I bought a pair of GE daylight delux tubes with a high K value - I think
it was 6500.  It was like lighting my tank with cool white bulbs.  The
color rendition was terrible.  I think the CRI (color rendition index) is
more important than color temperature when choosing a light.  The daylight
delux tubes had a CRI of 75 or so, which is too low.  For good color
rendition you need the CRI to exceed 80.

Two pairs of very normal output, 40 watt bulbs doesn't seem to me like
enough light for most purposes.

Roger Miller