[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Kitchen salt - Important Correction; Oodinium

IDMiamiBob at aol_com wrote: <<<<Subject: Re: Kitchen salt- Re: tail rot
In a message dated 97-09-29 04:00:09 EDT, Dionigi writes:
<< A very safe and effective treatment is two tbsp of kitchen salt each
 gal. Neither plants nor the filter will be affected, and it works
 quickly. Find out the source of the problem.
Please note that here in the states they have table salt in TWO FORMS_
iodized, and non-iodized.  Do NOT, repeat do NOT use the iodized stuff
your tank.  The iodide ions in iodized salt is FATAL to fish.(...)>>>>>>

As far as I know, many people and books indeed recommend to use
non-iodized salt, but there are also others that say it does not matter,
at least for short term use.  So, it seems prudent to avoid artificially
supplemented salt, but I wonder if it is really so critical. I have
direct experience with kosher salt (non-supplemented) and water softener
salt only.

I would like to make a correction to the information I posted (and
mentioned in the above message from Bob). My statement was based on
misreading Untergasser 's evaluation of the limits for plant toxicity.
He acually states that damage begins to get manifested at 2g/10 liters,
which is a quite unusual way to say 0.2 g/liter. I misread it as 2
g/liter. Apologies, since 1 tbsp NaCl ~=7.2g, which in 10 gallons of
water produce concentrations of 0.19 g/l, right at the supposed
phytotoxic level. What I stated is therefore not correct. 

Beverly Erlebacher <bae at cs_toronto.edu> wrote: <<<<Subject: Ick remedies
Oodinium which causes velvet disease is a dinoflagellate, technically 
a kind of algae (Chrysophyta?), and it can indeed photosynthesize. >>>>>

Thanks for the info. I would be interested in understanding more on how
Oodinium is "technically" a type of algae. So, algae may have flagella?