Effects of sudden co2 loss

I'm trying to deduce the cause of some recent imbalances in my planted
discus tank.  How does an abrupt loss of co2 effect aquaria?  Recently i
completely ran out of gas for about two days in a 180 gallon heavily
planted discus tank which was being fed about 5 bubbles/second.  My
previously thriving Microsorium deveoped big dark brown/purple patches on
many but not all leaves.   Was also wondering if UV would help control
algea (brush, and fetid slimy stuff occasionally) and what other effects UV
has.
 thanks, chris