Re: Lighting 125 gallon tank

Jeromy Shepard wrote, Saturday, Sept. 27:

>I have a empty 125 gal tank in my bedroom and I can hardly stand it!
>
>My problem is setting up the lighting system. I have discovered a 4 bulb T8
>electronic ballast for $36 but I am unable to find 36" T8 plant bulbs (wide
>spectrum or otherwise). Has anybody used a system similar to this? If so what
>brand and model number of lights did you use? If anybody has a successful 125
>gal planted tank I would love to hear about! Please email me directly so I
>can chat with you.     p.s. THIS PROJECT IS THE MOST AMBITIOUS I HAVE EVER
>TRIED!

I will let others who are more expert on lighting suggest specific brands
of T8 bulbs.  I will just suggest you get one that is high in lumen output
and doesn't look yellowish or pinkish.  I am more concenrned that four T8
bulbs may not be enough for such a big tank.  I would suggest two ballasts
and 8 bulbs.  When you start up the tank you can have just one of the
ballasts working, but when the plants get established, switch on both.

Paul Krombholz in Jackson, Mississippi where much needed rains finally
arrived.