confusion about nitrate unit of measurement

Ron Wozniak wrote:
"Thanks to people on this list, I now know

( i.e.        [NO3-] = 4.4 [N-NO3-] )

that 25 ppm Nitrate ion is about 5.5 ppm Nitrate Nitrogen, which would
be about the right amount of nutrients I would need to add to my now
more or less Nitrate/Phosphate limited tank."

Several people have mentioned trying to maintain a level of 5 ppm nitrates
in a planted tank, which I thought meant NO3.  The Lamotte nitrate kit
measures nitrate-nitrogen[N-NO3-], so I thought I had to convert back to
NO3.  But now it sounds like I should actually be trying to maintain 5 ppm
nitrate-nitrogen?  Sorry, I'm not a chemist, so I hope I'm being clear.

Thanks,
Wade Shimoda
Honolulu, HI
wshimoda at hei_com