Lighting - Power Compacts or not??

>      By my thinking, the power compacts make the best overall deal!!
>      Anyone have experience with pc lighting??  Any help would greatly be
>      appreciated.

I've been trying to figure the relative costs too. One interesting option
is the compact fluorescent bulbs that you buy to replace incancescent bulbs.
These are much less expensive. Now they shouldn't have the right spectrum,
right...? But, I have several planted freshwater and some reef marine tanks
with them and they are all doing very well. Surprisingly so. I still hesitate
to depend on them but it has sort of happened by default on these tanks
since I haven't gotten around to 'doing them right' yet the plants and corals
are still doing great.

-Walter