Re: Plant growth/condition as indicator

Hello all,
   Ron has mentioned using Hygro and sword species as indicators of a
nutrient balance/excess/limit in the aquarium.  I know others have
mentioned at least the red color in ludwigia and other red plants as an
indicator of iron content.  Another indicator is the loss of lower leaves
of stem plants as an telling you your light is to low or a general lack of
plant foods.  I am very interested in this as I currently adjust my PMDD
mix based more on the look of the plants then the test measurements.  But
having say a list of these kind of conditions would be great.  I have tried
searching the archives, but outside of reading most all the posts I have
not really been able to formulate a list.  If we get some response, I can
formalize a list and publish it on my page and forward it to the list for
the archives.  So Please if you have a an observation like this send it
here or to me personally and I will tabulate it.

>Sunset Hygrophilia polysperma ... is excellent in monitoring iron levels.

What does it do, loose the pink color??

Ron,
  With the water softener, did you ever try using potassium chloride
instead of sodium chloride.  The salt substitute is available for water
softeners for people on low salt diets, and the price is similar.  Plus the
added potassium and lack of NaCl is only a benefit to the tank and your
family.  Although I am not sure that the concentrations really make much of
a difference, I know the loose of the NaCl would be a good thing:)

Thanks,
Jeff
http://www.voicenet.com/~dietsch