Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #962

Aquatic Plants Digest wrote:

> Aquatic Plants Digest   Thursday, September 18 1997   Volume 02 : Number 962
>
> In this issue:
>
>         Re: Hard Water
>         Re: Hard Water
>         Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #961
>         Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #961
>         How do you make a small aquarium?
>         Fertilization re: volume of plants
>         Re:Perfecto tanks
>
> See the end of the digest for information on unsubscribing from the
> Aquatic Plants mailing list and on how to retrieve back issues.

> Date: Thu, 18 Sep 97 8:45:06 MDT
> From: "Marshall F. Wilkinson" <wilkinso at acs_ucalgary.ca>
> Subject: Re: Hard Water
>
> Gerry
>
> Diluting hard water with distilled water should lower the kH but
> not necessarily the genernal hardness. To change that one would
> have to use distilled and dionized water.
> I'm pretty sure on this but the chemical gurus on the list may
> add to this.
>
> Marshall Wilkinson
> Calgary Alberta
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 08:54:18 -0600
> From: George Booth <booth at hpmtlgb1_lvld.hp.com>
> Subject: Re: Hard Water
>
> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 21:01:33 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Gerry Skau <gerry at ans_net>
>
> Here's a question for general discussion. Hard water is caused by a
> concentration of minerals in the water, if I am not mistaken?
>
> Yep. Mostly Ca and Mg for "general hardness" and mostly "bicarbonates"
> for "carbonate hardness".  Other stuff will add a little to one or the
> other.
>
> > Would it be possible then to soften water safely by diluting it with
> > distilled water?
>
> Absolutely. One part hard water and one part distilled water makes two
> parts of water that is half as hard as the hard water.
>
> Well, I guess that wasn't much a discussion.
>
> George
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 06:26:24 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Roger S. Miller" <rgrmill at rt66_com>
> Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #961
>
> >       Here's a question for general discussion. Hard water is caused by
> > a concentration of minerals in the water, if I am  not mistaken? Would it
> > be possible then to soften water safely by diluting it with distilled
> > water?
> >

> Yes.
>
> Roger Miller
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 11:55:10 -0400 (EDT)
> From: BobFenner at aol_com
> Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #961

> <<
>  I'll be in Dan Diego next week for the MS Professional Developer's
>  Conference.  Could anybody suggest aquatic things to do beside Sea
>  World?  Any good fish shops?  Any great aquatic plant exhibits?
>   >>
> Hey George, there aren't any public or commercial exhibits that are very
> [...]

Hello to all on the list;

The bombarding of false information on the internet has led me to generally refrain
from responding to both questions and answers whether they seem to be genuine or not.
In this case I cannot stay silent.  Neither Perfecto nor All-Glass makes inferior
aquariums.  At least not by design.  Nor does Oceanic.  I have large aquariums built
by the above manufacturers and they have performed exactly as they were advertised.

When properly installed and leveled, there have been no leaks, cracks, or abnormalities.
I would suggest that those inferring substandard manufacturing practices be the last
to throw stones.

Karl R. Schoeler