Ramshorn snails

For some reason, this didn't make it to the list last Friday.  I'm
re-sending it now.

>Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 16:48:09 -0700
>From: "Frank I. Reiter" <FIR at istar_ca>
>Subject: Ramshorn snails: YMMV
>
>I've got a bit of an algae problem in one of my tanks, so yesterday I
>picked up three large (1.5 inch)  ramshorn snails to see if they would
help
>a bit.  Despite an abundance of algae, they chewed into my plants with a
>speed I found quite astounding.  One 4" by 1/2" leaf became a 4" by 1/4"
>leaf in about 20 seconds as I watched a single snail travel down it.
>
>They went back to the store this morning.

I suspect what you bought at the aquarium store were what is commonly
called Columbian or often striped ramshorns.  These are a species within
the Pomacea group of snails (as are apple snails) and are reported to be
voracious plant eaters.

Pomacea are trap-door snails.  Some eat plants, some don't.  Most of them
grow to very large sizes.

The ramshorn snails recommended on this list are red and brown ramshorn
snails.  Red ramshorns have a very narrow shalle that they lay over on the
side while they are young.  Brown spotted ramshorns have a wider shell that
remains upright.  Both are very effective algae grazers in a tank without a
severe algae problem.  The brown spotted ramshorn tolerates extremely low
water hardness values as well.  Both lay tiny egg sacs on plant leaves.  If
you don't want snails, you must search diligently for these egg sacs,
because the snails often mature and lay more eggs before you discover their
presence in your tank.

Another good choice is the trumpet snail.  Trumpet snails will eat any type
of algae (even cyanobacteria if it's weakened), and will also reduce your
numbers of ramshorns if introduced to your tank.  Trumpet snails require
harder water than ramshorns.  Trumpet snails carry their eggs inside their
shell until they hatch.

Pond snails are a third choice.  They lay large, gelatinous egg clusters
everywhere.  They will eat most types of algae and will usually leave
healthy plants alone.  Pond snails do not tolerate extremely soft or acidic
water well.

David W. Webb           Texas Instruments
(972) 575-3443 (voice)  http://www.dallas.net/~dwebb
(214) 581-2380 (pager)  2145812380 at alphapage_airtouch.com