Ramshorn Snails

> From: gomberg at wcf_com
>
> On 09/12/97 at 03:48 p, Frank said:
>
> > yesterday I picked up three large (1.5 inch)
> >ramshorn snails to see if they would help a bit.
>
> If they were 1.5" they weren't ramshorns, rams rarely exceed .5"

Around here two species are sold as ramshorn snails, a big one
and a small one. both have a flat coil shell. The large one is
often two-toned in the shell; these are nice looking but can
eat tender plant parts. The small species is such a common pest
it is seldom sold for money; It doesn't eat plants. A red-bodied
variety used to be sold but I haven't seen it lately. It was
probably an albino.

Cliff Lundberg
San Francisco