Substrate richness/riskiness order

I just gave someone advice on choosing a substrate.  I'd like to get people's
opinions on it, since I've not used many different types.

I made out this list of common substrate combinations that I've heard of and
tried to order them in what I would call richness/riskiness order (riskiness
in the sense that there is a higher potential of algae outbreak due to the
higher immediate nutrient content).

Thinking about it for a bit, I'm not so sure anymore about some of the later
ones, and I'd like some comments on [1]: a better ordering, [2] other substrate
options that don't fall into the ones already listed, and [3] a simplification
of the 10 substrates listed into a smaller set.

1)  simple mid-grain-size sand/gravel (3" of substrate depth or so)
2)  pot each of your difficult plants (specialized substrate for each)
3)  add laterite balls (purchased or made from "substrate gold" or red
	modeling clay)
4)  mix laterite into bottom 1/3 of substrate (same sources as above)
5)  either mix a small amount of peat into laterite layer (above) or sprinkle
	a thin layer over the laterite layer before covering with rest of sand
6)  mix a loamy soil (backyard, garden center) instead of peat as in (5)
7)  mix earthworm castings instead of/in addition to peat as is (5)
8)  replace sand/gravel from above mixes with river mud
9)  replace sand/gravel from above mixes with loamy soil/mud
10) replace sand/gravel from above mixes with rich soil/mud

Again, I'm ordering them in terms of risk of algae outbreak due to increased
nutrient content.  I know ALL of the can be algae-free if you do them right,
which is why I'm doing it by expected net nutrient content.  (2) is tough, but
since the pots might be a small volume compared to the entire substrate, I
felt that it was low risk/net nutrient content.

Opinions?  In particular, where does (8) really lie in comparison?

-Carlos