Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #938

>Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 08:26:38 -0400
>From: Bjorn Straube <straube at digital_net>
>Subject: Re: DIY CO2

>Ken wrote:

><snip>

>> Any suggestions regarding how I can prolong the CO2 output would be
greatly > appreciated.

>Roger wrote:

><snip>
>> Can anyone else think of good ways to check for leaks?
><snip>

>Hi Roger, Hi Ken,
  >I can think of two easy and effective ways.  1) submerge reactor in
>water and then pressurize.  2) Take mild soapy water and apply to any
>suspected areas, pressurize, and it will blow bubbles.  Just be sure not
>to get soap in you tank(s).  The advantage of these two methods is that
>you not only know your reactor/lines leak, but where.

Here's my two cents on this.  My background comes from homebrewing,
and not from science.  After making sure that there are no leaks in the
system, try this with the mixture:  When mixing up a new batch, shake the
mixture up like mad.  This will aerate the mix and give the yeast some
oxegen to use.  On an existing batch, shaking vigourously should revive
it some too.

My recipe for my CO2 generator is:  .5 c. sugar, 1 tsp. baking soda, .25 c.
 flour
and a package of yeast added to about 1.75 l of water.  After I made my
first
batch and it was time to recharge it, what I did was shake up the bottle to

get the goop that was sitting on the bottle into suspension, then I pour
out
about 3/4 of the old mixture and use the above recipe without the yeast.
There's typically enough yeast in the remaining mixture to get the
generator going in about 4 hours.  (YMMV)

One last thing.  I haven't been able to get my generator to run for more
than two weeks, and in the hottest part of the summer, 1 week was about
right