Re[2]: laterite in the Philippines

     Hi Jonathan,

     We just returned from Cebu/Mindanao this July; too bad I didn't know
     you then because I would have visited you in Cebu City.

     As for substrate, this will depend mostly upon two factors: which
     plants you will want to grow and what chemicals you can get access to.
     Can you get Seachem Flourish there? This is a relatively inexpensive
     chelated iron fertilizer which also has other trace nutrients. I don't
     know if this is over your budget or hard to find. Another alternative
     is to get some chelated Fe trace element mix. This may be hard to find
     in the Philippines but it is worth trying to locate it as this is the
     cheapest way to get this kind of fertilizer. If you are really stuck,
     I can send you some by mail.

     It is also good to use an iron rich soil as many kinds of plants
     especially Cryptocorynes, can get iron from the substrate. The problem
     with soil and clay especially, is it can make a mess when you uproot
     plants. If you get cloudy water, you may need to drain all your water
     and replace it and that can be tricky with fish in there. Still, I
     think the improvements with soil are worth it IF you are careful. It
     is best to find an iron rich soil such as the red soil which you
     should be able to find if you have a friend from Mindanao or if you
     can find it on Cebu. I think it must also be there but where? Even if
     the soil is light red or brown, it will have enough iron. Use a
     natural soil, not something you get in the garden store. The garden
     store soils are very, very fertile and that is not good in an
     aquarium.

     If I were you I'd put a 1" layer of soil/clay in the bottom of your
     tank and then cover this with a 1" mixture of 50% by volume of peat
     and sand. This is about 1:10 ratio by weight. Cover that with 1"
     coarse sand or fine gravel of about 2-3 mm in size. Try to avoid beach
     sand as it contains lots of coral and shells and is not ideal for
     Crypts (too much calcium). Beach sand also may contain algaes even if
     it is long dried.

     For chemicals you need to find MgSO4 (Epsom salts), KSO4 (potassium
     sulphate). Is it possible for you to obtain an analysis of your local water
     from the water utility company there? This will tell you if you need to add
     Mg or calcium (Ca). It is very probable that there is enough Mg and Ca
     already in your water. The problem with water from the tap in Cebu is that
     it may contain chlorine or even chlor-amine to inhibit bacteria. You can
     remove chlorine by letting the water sit in a bucket or container for a day
     or so but chlor-amine is harder. Do you have pH test kit? What is the pH of
     your tap water? If it is 7.5 or higher, I think you don't need to worry
     about Mg or Ca.

     If you use peat and soil, and keep fish in your tank, you will probably get
     enough nitrates from that alone. Peat does not seem to liberate very much
     nitrates (at least what I have) and decays very slowly.

     Potassium (K) is the element most like to be in short supply even from fish
     food and soil and water. 1/8 tsp of potassium sulphate for each 10 gals of
     water you drain out and replace will provide a steady supply. This works
     out to around 10 ppm if I've done my math correctly and weighed the stuff
     accurately.

     As for testing the clay, the best indicator is your eye. If it's red, it
     has iron. Testing clay with water with your normal test kit won't work
     because iron is not water soluble.

     I think you should use the Australian peat (you only need a couple of
     pounds) because the stuff from the forest doesn't sound like real peat to
     me. It would reduce hardness certainly; anything organic will do that but
     what you need is something which is acidic and has had most of the soluble
     nutrients leached out of it. Otherwise, as it decays in the substrate, it
     produces too much nutrients and you get blue-green slime, green water or a
     filamentous algae explosion. The only way to tell if your peat is releasing
     nitrates is probably to measure with a test kit. Maybe somebody else knows
     another test?

     Can you get a small container of bleach? You mix this 1 part with 19 parts
     of water and use it to disinfect all plants which you put into your
     aquarium to be sure they won't have any filamentous algaes. This is
     especially important if you collect any plants from the wild. You dip the
     plants in the bleach mixture 1-3 minutes and then rinse well with running
     water. 1 minute for sensitive plants. 3 minutes for tough, thick leaved
     plants if you have the dreaded Oedinum (sp?) green thread algae (feels like
     horse hair)

     What will you use for lighting for your tank? If you cannot afford the
     electricity and the fluorescent tubes, a cheap alternative is window light.
     You need an east or west facing window which gets sun for 2-3 hours each
     day. This is very strong lighting but you can reduce it by adding curtains
     or other shading.

     What aquatic plants have you found so far?

     What will you use for CO2?

     Steve in Vancouver