Re: Mercury Vapour or Metal Halide ??

> Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 18:52:06 +0100
> From: A M Moore <andy at ascot_u-net.com>
>
> What is the advantage of using Metal Halide as opposed to Mercury
> Vapour or Flourescent lights in a fully planted aquaria ??

Metal halide has a better spectrum than MV.  Actually, I think MH are
simply MV with rare earths (halides) added to enhance the color.

MH are much brighter and more efficient than FL.  This is better
for suspended hoods or pendants over open top tanks.  They also are
close to spot sources of light, so you get very attractive shadows
from any surface ripples.  Quite a nice effect.

For overall color rendition, I prefer FL bulbs of the correct
spectrum.  They also work better for taking photos if they have
sufficient intensity.

George