Dupla CO2 indicator vs. CO2 test kits

Could someone please explain the difference between the Dupla CO2
indicator (I think Eheim also has a similar device) and a CO2 test kit?
 Does the Dupla indicator actually measure CO2 directly?  When it
indicates sufficient CO2, how much CO2 is in the water?

It seems convenient to have a constant indicator like the Dupla, but not
if it doesn't do a good job.  I (unfortunately?) purchased the Dupla
indicator before realizing that it might be insufficient.

Also, does anyone know what the color-changing chemical is that you put
into the indicator?

Thanks,
Wade Shimoda
wshimoda at hei_com