Re: Surface scum

Thank you to the two people who suggested surface skimming.  As I
understand it, the idea is simply to have the intake of a filter very near
to the surface of the water.

This morning I setup my Vortex Diatom filter with the intake about 1/2 inch
below the surface of the water.  Several hours later I can see no
noticeable improvement.  I'll leave it running all day to see if anything
useful happens.

This surface scum problem sounds like one that might be cured by a protein
skimmer, but my understanding is that a protein skimmer would drive out the
CO2 I have so carefully added to my water.  Am I correct about that?

Frank.
-----
The very act of seeking sets something in motion to meet us;
something in the universe, or in the unconscious responds as if
to an invitation.  - Jean Shinoda Bolen

http://home.istar.ca/~fir