Re: DIY CO2 in a 140 Gal

Jeremy wrote:

>I am going to set up a DIY CO2 system for my 140 gallon tank.
>Does anyone have experience with how many bottles I should use?
>I am planning on 3-2 litters. This will be my first attempt at using
>CO2 so if I decide I like it I might invest in the full system.

Jeremy:

I am using two 2-liter Gatorade bottles (actually they are about 1.8
liters) for a 20-gallon tank and just bubbling the CO2 through an
airstone.  I'm afraid that if I use a reactor with my two-bottle system
in such a small tank I might end up dissolving too much CO2,
especially when the yeast are fresh.   If you really are seriously
considering setting up such a large planted tank, then why bother
with the DIY CO2?  I know that a compressed CO2 system runs into
money, but I think you'll need at least three or four 2-bottle units if
you go with yeast-sugar.  If you do it, I would hook them up as
independent 2-bottle units to minimize downtime when changing the
yeast-sugar solution, and change the solution in each bottle within
each unit every two weeks on a staggered schedule.  This seems to
me like it will be an awful lot of trouble.

Adeana asked about slime building up on her DIY CO2 line.  Yes, I
think we all observe this from time to time.  I just wipe it off when it
appears and make sure that the line is not clogged.  It helps to have
a bubble counter made from a small water bottle between your yeast
generator and the outlet of your system.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan in Maryland, where it looks like the drought may be finally
over.
Energetics, Inc
7164 Gateway Drive
Columbia, MD 21046