RE: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #903

	On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Shane wrote

> Subject: Congo Tetras and Plants
>
> 	Hello all,
> 	Over the last few months I have noticed small bite marks around
> the edges of new Anubias spp. leaves. At first I thought my SAEs were
> the
> responsible party. I removed the SAEs, but two months later, all my
> Anubias are still having their new leaves eaten before they can
> develop.
> The Congo tetras seem to be the only remaining suspects. Other tank
> mates
> include: 1 Sturisoma sp., 6 Rineloricaria fallax, 1 Ancistrus sp., and
> 1
> Farlowella cf. acus. I have never seem any of the loricariids damage
> plants and most of these fishes were in the tank prior to the mystery
> of
> the damaged leaves. The SAEs and Congos were added at about the same
> time
> and the damaged leaves appeared shortly there after. Has anyone else
> had a
> similar experience with Congos?
> 			-Shane
>
> ------------------------------

	Shane,

		I had a similar difficulty with new Anubias leaves in a
tank with Ancistrus, Syno. Eupterus, Kribensis, and Congo Tetras.
Everything was fine for two years, and then suddenly somebody started
chewing on my Anubias.  Through trial periods of isolation in a
quarantine tank, I discovered that the Ancistrus was the root of my
difficulties.  Apparently, he had done such a good job of algae
deterrent that he was starving.  As I still required his tank cleaning
services, I returned him to the tank and began to offer him a few slices
of waterlogged cucumber a week.  The problem disappeared entirely.

	Offhand Note:  In the process I discovered that Syno. Eupterus,
and to a lesser extent Pelviachromis Pulcher (Kribensis) also have a
peculiar fondness for pre-soaked cucumber.  No other non-loricarids I
have ever owned have taken to it with such gusto.  I have to add five or
six slices at a time to ensure that enough remains for the Ancistrus.

	Kevin

	"I know nothing. That which I believe is mostly wrong, and
subject to continual revision."