Why trickle filters?

Hi all,
  I have a question about filtration.  I've noticed that several tanks
that have been featured in magazines and on web pages have trickle
filters.  Why use them, if the tank is realy heavily planted all of the
amonia and nitrite should be used before the filter has a chance at
them, right?  Also I thought the idea with CO2 suplimentation was to
keep suface disturbance down to a minimum.  I am at the moment
converting a 75 gal reef tank to a FW plant tank and have a DIY trickle
filter and am wondering if I should go with a canister instead.  Any
help would be great.

Thanks

Bjorn Straube
straube at digital_net